Cook Islands Money Matters
International Departure Taxes
The following taxes are charged to all visitors upon departure: Adults NZ$30, Children under 12 years NZ$15, Children 2 years and under are exempt.
This must be paid upon departure, and is not included as part of prepaid taxes with airline tickets.
Departure tax can be purchased from the Westpac Bank at the International Terminal (Open for all International Flights), or at Westpac Bank in the main town Avarua.
The Cook Islands unit of currency is the New Zealand dollar, supplemented by notes and coinage minted for local use. The unique local coins and notes are not negotiable outside the Cook Islands, but are keenly sought by collectors worldwide.
Tipping is not expected and is contrary to Cook Island's custom. However if you receive excellent service and want to acknowledge it, please feel free to do so.
There are bank branches and ATM machines in Avarua and Atiutaki. Credit cards are accepted by most hotels and large stores. Eftpos is available at some hotels and stores. Western Union has an office in Avarua offering money exchange and transfers.
- About Us
- Cook Island Services and Utilities
- Cook Island Weddings Details you need to know
- Cook Islands Climate
- Cook Islands Dining
- Cook Islands Health and Safety
- Cook Islands Language
- Cook Islands Money Matters
- Customs and Imports
- Driving in Cook Islands
- Getting to the Cook Islands
- Punanga Nui Markets Avarua Rarotonga
- Rarotonga Accommodation Specials
- Rarotonga Accommodation, Aitutaki Accommodation, Cook Islands Accommodation
- Rarotonga On Sale
- Religious Observance
- Travel Agents and Wholesalers
- Weddings and Romance in the Cook Islands